Monday 28 January 2013

Ghar ka Khana by Cook

The other day, my friend invited me over a dinner along with family. My friend is a well settled in his career. He has two kids, who are about to settle in their life.

They have big 4 bedroom apartment, each family member owns one room. It was surprise for me that they have engaged a part time cook, who cooks for them in the morning and evening. I didn't mind it coz lady of the house is also working and is a career oriented woman. Thus she does not get time for cooking and all.

In old days, my Maa used to cook for the entire family. The simple food was poured with Love. We, brother and sisters used to eat together surrounding the angeethi or chulah. During that moment, we used to share lot of things and there was a connect between the siblings. The same culture is passed on to my wife and my kids. Now we also eat together as a family and ensures that we will have one meal altogether, although, instead of talking all the time, sometimes we watch TV. Still I feel we are connected and enjoying simple food poured with Love.

Coming back to dinner, what I discovered, that every member of my friend's family is busy in personal life.  I realised that they do not eat together. Children do not get the food cooked by the mother, thus I see missing important ingredient Love in the food. Yes mother do cook during weekend, by helping the cook. They were not talking over the diner table, no laughs no jokes... ( bad habits perhaps..???).

I find that there was a disconnect between the family members as everybody loves to enjoy in their own privacy. Kids do not know whether their mother is in pain or need something. Similarly husband doesn't know the needs of the children or wife. I feel the family is living as paying  guest under one roof.

What kind of society we are building.... In the race of metro life, we are forgetting to inculcate the family values in our children, which is the heritage of Indian culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment